Sunday, April 9, 2017

I'm Your Man

Dance Me to the End of Love

A local art gallery has put out a call for entry.  Every year, the gallery hangs a show inspired by the connection between the written word and visual art, and how one can inspire the other. This year, a concurrent theme is an homage to the Montrealer Leonard Cohen, musician, poet and visual artist. Figurative and abstract works are welcome, and there is no requirement to include text in the image.


Ain't No Cure for Love

I have never submitted work to this gallery, but I thought I would give it a try. So...


I Have Tried in My Way to Be Free

... I have chosen four of my remaining twenty-seven Touchstone pieces and titled them with the name of a song or a lyric from Cohen's oeuvre. This was not done in a slapdash fashion, but was carefully considered, looking for a good connection between the feeling evoked by the abstract image and the words. I even rotated one of the images to better convey the sense of the title. Come to think of it, aren't most abstract works titled after completion?


If I Have Been Untrue

Will my entry be acceptable to the jury? Much depends on what is submitted to the show by other artists, and considerations like space and price points. I'll post here when the results are in.

Postscript: The show was postponed to September, and my four pieces were accepted by the jury. Delighted!

No comments: